The Corner Store: Mentone





Category: Modern Australian/Breakfast/Brunch

Location: 1 Swanston St Mentone VIC 03194

Cost: $$

J'Rate: ♥♥










As the name states, right on the corner of Swanston St and Balcombe Road stands The Corner Store, few minutes from the beach and opposite Mentone Station. They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner, with a small bar within and interior almost heart melting. Wood featured and hanging lights, I didn't even need to try the food to say I liked the place already. The cafe is spacious, but with frequent customers entering, it gets quite busy and thus, packed. They didn't have a table for us indoor when we arrived but sitting outside under the heater, despite the cold weather was just as fine.

The staffs there are really friendly and efficient. We were in a rush this morning and told them we didn't have heaps of time to laze around and with that in mind, they addressed all we needed. We ordered as soon as the menu came, food was delivered not too long after and when asking about the delay in our cappuccinos, they went out of their way to get that just a second later. A+ Service for that.

The menu, like any other breakfast menu contained the usual selection with combos with eggs for the big breakfast eaters, pancakes for the sweet tooth and muesli for the healthy eaters, nothing too special but there is a big variety for all those picky eaters (like me). Breakfast is served till 3:30pm, lunch starts at 11:30am and dinner, 5:30pm, I wouldn't be surprised to see the place busy its entire working day. Overall though, breakfast is average, nothing too amazing. Some may argue the dish is too small for its cost and maybe that is so, but it was a considerate serving size for me. For once, I managed to finish my breakfast. I would recommend salting the dishes for additional flavour though, things could get a bit bland, like the hashbrowns and eggs. One thing I'd have to comment on is their tomato sauce. I am 100% against tomato sauce but they used bush tomato relish with my breakfast and I could say it would be the only, if any, tomato sauce I thoroughly enjoyed (did not cringe) eating.

Breakfast:

The Charity Omelette $13 w/ added ham ($3):
Baby Spinach, Bush Tomato Relish, Ham and Mozerella
 sandwiched between an omelette on sour dough bread.
The August Gloop $18.50:
2 free ranged egg scrambled, grilled bacon, spicy chipolatas, tomato,
 mushrooms + 2 hashbrowns on toasted sourdough

 I'll be adding this to one cafe I know i can always rely on if I'm in the neighbourhood but in all honesty, it's not somewhere I'd get out of my way to return to. Would like to experience their lunch and dinner though!

The Corner Store on Urbanspoon





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Meet The Author